The 2015 Victorian Championships lived up to every expectation with a standard higher than we have ever seen at this level before. Our level 4 team performed magnificently and Tahlia, Jasmine, Grace, Caitlyn and Alexis were proudly announced fourth placed team.
At level 5, Lisa progressed through to the All Around Finals. Jasmine and Caitlyn also progressed to the level 4 All Around Final where Caitlyn placed 1st on beam and is now also the 2015 Victorian State Level 4 Champion.
Caitlyn and Jasmine – level 4
Lisa – level 5
An enthusiastic coach is required to lead beginner and Level 1-2 WG classes in 2014. Children at our club love learning gymnastics because our coaches set achievable goals, value each child’s effort and give praise often.
The coaching team at Mountain Districts Gymnastics work together to support each other as well as the gymnasts within the club. Our coaches are friendly and have a passion for the sport that stems from the belief that gymnastics is good for all children.
Coaches are required for classes as follows:
- Monday 4-5pm & 5-7pm – beginner & level 1-2 girls
- Thursday 4-5pm & 5-7pm – beginner & level 1-2 girls
- Possible Wednesday afternoon and Saturday girls classes also.
Classes for 2014 begin on Monday, February 3rd.
Email is the preferred method of contact for your application. Please include in your application a brief coaching philosophy and an account of why you enjoy coaching such a great sport!
Job responsibilities include:
- Teaching required skills only, safely and progressively, providing appropriate drills and physical preparation activities.
- Mentoring young assistant coaches during beginner classes.
- Adopting the basic lesson plan/timetable adhered to by all Mountain Districts coaches in order to work cooperatively with other groups using the gym at the same time.
- Managing both large and small groups of children.
- Completing basic administration tasks accurately and on time. This includes marking class attendance and handing out forms and notices.
- Communicating honestly and consistently with the club manager with regard to gymnast progress, parent comments and activities not conducted within class time (for example, competitions).
Essential Selection Criteria:
At Mountain Districts Gymnastics, we provide a fun and supportive training atmosphere. We promote gymnastics as not only a sport, but a lifestyle choice that allows children to have fun, be fit, strong and healthy and make lifelong friendships. Each child at our club is important and we work tirelessly to develop an “I can” attitude toward training. Our hope is that this attitude is carried with them to other areas of their life.
Applicants for coaching positions should:
- Be reliable, honest, punctual and role model ideal behaviors.
- Have the ability to respond effectively to children of different ages and abilities in order to achieve personal best results.
- Be able to develop strong relationships with children and young teens that build trust, inspire confidence and promote long term participation.
- Be able to take full responsibility for a class and be happy to work with limited supervision.
- Be openly enthusiastic and continuously reinforce the benefits of participating and progressing in the sport of gymnastics.
- Be goal oriented and able to work toward specific individual and group targets. You should be prepared to adhere to the goals of the individual and group by regularly checking and assessing progress.
- Be able to naturally use a variety of praise techniques to encourage young gymnasts and empower older ones. You should thoughtfully match the type of praise given to the behavior or achievement observed.
- Set clear expectations and offer well planned activities in order to avoid disruptive behavior. You should be prepared to implement the club discipline policy quickly and effectively so as not to interrupt class.
- Promote and expect good training habits:
- Understand the skill
- Perform the skill correctly
- Put in 100% effort
A very exciting day is coming up for Mountain Districts on Sunday, October 19th – we have a team competing in the preliminary round of the level 4 State Championships!
Congratulations to Lisa, Caity, Miranda and Jane for qualifying, and we wish all of you the best of luck. Fingers crossed you all make it through to the finals!
MDG Level 4 Team
Michelle Aumann was awarded State Stream Gymnast of the Year (2010) by the Victorian Women’s Technical Committee.
The award was given based on Michelle’s enormous contribution to our sport and her undeniable position as a role model not only to our own members, but to other girls competing around the state.